At this time when The Customer is the key to any business, it has become paramount and crystal clear that having great customer experience and service goes a long way for the business in general. In the past, the customer experience has been majorly on the products that a company has to offer. However, in recent times, the shift is on the overall experience the customer has with not only the product, but the services that are offered. Customers tend to buy those products that offer them great service too.
To deliver high standard customer experience in the consumer-driven economy, the employees must be full participants in the process. Hence, they become the customers of the internal services offered like on-board employee to approving vendor contracts or may be using HRMS solution. So, when their experience suffers, the end customer experience suffers too.
ITSM in the age of Digital Transformation
ITSM as we know is the IT service management system that has helped the organizations in delivering better services internally and externally. It is a common service request platform that simplifies management of services. Traditionally it has been used for IT services, and hence the name. There are standard practices defined too like ITIL for service delivery.
However, its usage has shown that if service is organized well, the benefits are far reaching. And the demand for it has gone beyond IT. For example, departments like HR, Finance, facilities etc. have all started demanding platform to manage their requests efficiently and effectively.
At this point, you may say that there are ERPs to manage the data of various departments. ERP systems provide ways to manage the business functions and not the services that are carried out within those business functions. What about a service request, like change of address or on-boarding a new employee? An employee on-boarding may require multiple service requests being raised to different departments like a request to administration to make the workstation, a request to IT department to prepare the laptop and necessary permissions, etc. Having a seamless way to manage such request is the need of the hour. By doing this, we bring collaborations between the various parts of the organization that otherwise work in silos. Similarly, a typical service request from the customer may require inter-department communication and coordination to provide a great customer experience.
Gartner 2021 ITSM tools magic quadrant
The magic quadrant shows some of the leaders in the ITSM space. The key point to note here is that these key players like ServiceNow, BMC, Freshworks have evolved their solutions to make it useful for business units beyond IT.
What is ESM?
With the increased pace of Digital Transformation, the demand to manage service requests have grown even further. Knowing this, the well-established ITSM companies like ServiceNow, have been expanding their solutions and portfolios. They provide service request in all areas of the organization termed as ESM – Enterprise Service Management.
ESM is all about applying the service-oriented business model to the organization’s internal way of working. This enables the organization to deliver enterprise-wise service which is not only limited to IT but includes the whole of the business. ESM is generally put in practice with one key focus on better customer experience.
Why should we adopt ESM?
ESM not only helps streamline service delivery internally and externally, but also brings business value to the organization. The simple reason for that is because of this adoption, the employee satisfaction increases and results in higher and increased customer satisfaction.
To understand further, here are some benefits that ESM brings with it:
1. Decrease operational costs: Optimized processes backed by automation reduces manual work thus increasing self-service capabilities.
2. Increase productivity: Ticket tracking enables the teams / departments to respond better and quicker as the requests are not cluttered in mailboxes.
3. Better customer experience: Collaborative approach helps in providing faster service deliveries to the customers.
4. Improved operational visibility: With the information about service tickets in different states, the organization is in better position to understand what is achieved and what hasn’t.
5. Improved collaboration: The passing of work items between individuals, groups or business functions becomes lot easier.
6. Improved accountability: Assignment of responsibility within and across business functions become clear, bringing in improved accountability. For example on-boarding an employee require multiple business functions to work together to ensure smooth induction into the organization.
7. Increased ROI: With more business units using same or similar solutions to deliver services, the ROI is increased greatly.
YaSM – Yet another Service Management
Standard practices evolve to and help organizations to adapt to the processes and gain benefits. In the case of ITSM, there has been many standard practice models created like ITIL. Even though ESM is still gaining adoption and usage, practices like YaSM has already proved itself. Its evolution is from the common principles used in other service management frameworks like ITIL, ISO 20000, COBIT, CMM-SVC, SIAM etc.
It clearly distinguishes between:
- Service lifecycle processes: These are modeled upon well-established management methods of continuous improvement. It has 5 lifecycle processes.
- Supporting processes: These processes provide support to the lifecycle processes like management of customer relations etc. There are 12 supporting processes.
ESM delivering business value
Having common ways of delivering services among different business units brings in coherence and efficient service delivery. Collaboration is increased and silos are reduced. With increased coordination within and amongst business unit powered by automation provides a very high standard of service. It not only increases employee satisfaction, but also customer satisfaction as all business units works in coherence.
YaSM allows to implement those processes that is relevant for an organization be it small, medium, or large.
With all this and the benefits it brings in, it clearly has a lot of business value for all.
Follow BizzTalk World for more news and updates from different domains of a business.